Reconsider travel to Cabo Verde due to COVID-19.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for Cabo Verde due to COVID-19.
Cabo Verde has lifted stay at home orders and resumed some transportation options and business operations. Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Cabo Verde.
Exercise Increased Caution In:
- Praia due to crime.
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Cabo Verde:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as expensive watches or jewelry.
- Do not answer your door at your hotel/residence unless you know who it is.
- Be extra vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Cabo Verde.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Praia – Exercise Increased Caution
Violent crime, such as burglary, armed robbery, and assault, occurs in Praia.
Last Update: Reissued with updates to COVID-19 information.